The City's Schools Recycling Coordinator works with public and private schools in the Centennial, Gresham-Barlow, and Reynolds school districts to set up and maintain sustainable recycling systems. Read more about the school incentive program.
Composting at local schools may soon become a reality. See the ‘how’s’ and ‘why’s’ in this entertaining video.
Schools Recycling Requirement
In spring 2009, the City Council adopted a Business Recycling Requirement (which includes schools) in the Gresham Revised Code. This was done to enhance both Gresham's recycling programs and to comply with the regional Solid Waste Management Plan set forth under state law.
- Recycle paper, cardboard, plastic bottles and tubs, steel and aluminum cans, and glass.
- Ensure there are containers for collection of these recyclables.
- Post signs at collection areas, indicating which materials should be recycled.
For assistance with meeting this requirement or for more information, contact Shaunna Sutcliffe, Schools Recycling Coordinator, at 503-618-2694.
Recycling Assistance Available to Schools
- waste evaluation instructions
- obtaining equipment and supplies
- proper signage
- educational tools
- help establishing low-maintenance recycling projects
- funding resources
- Grants Program*
What Gresham Schools are Doing – Ask Us How
- cafeteria recycling
- student recycling programs
- worm bins and composting
- student earth clubs, green teams and class campaigns
- school gardening
Grant money is available to schools for starting recycling and resource conservation programs and activities.
Environmental Services School Field Trips
Classroom Presentations and Educational Resources
How and What to Recycle at School
Find My School's Garbage Hauler
Conservation Puppet Show DVD and Coloring Book
Classroom Work Day in a Watershed
Oregon Green Schools
Shaunna Sutcliffe, Schools Recycling Coordinator, is the regional Oregon Green Schools coordinator for Gresham schools.
View list of Gresham's local schools certified as Oregon Green Schools.
About Oregon Green Schools
- Helps schools set up and maintain waste reduction and resource efficiency programs
- Awards schools for their efforts
- Brings schools and students together to network and share information and ideas
For more information contact Shaunna Sutcliffe at Shaunna.Sutcliffe@GreshamOregon.gov or 503-618-2694.